Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Katniss Everdeen

I am always wary of the hype surrounding a movie based on a book, as the movie rarely is an improvement on the written word (yes I know, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to the movie versus book debate). Having read The Hunger Games long before there was even a suggestion of a movie, I was taken in by Katniss. She is a strong, intelligent female protagonist who is not afraid to take chances to protect those that she loves and to stand up for herself. She is a complex character and does not just swoon into the arms of the leading man and expect him to save her. She also brings hope to a people who are oppressed at great cost to herself. I was intrigued by the books because they also made me think about our society's lust for reality television and how far we would  be willing to go to be entertained. Is a battlefield arena where the last person standing takes the prize so very far fetched? How far would we go to get our kicks in a society that is becoming increasingly jaded? I am not saying do not watch the movie but rather suggest that you do yourself a favour and read the book first, so that you are not so caught up in the Hollywood glitz and glamour that you forget to think and question what the movie says about our society.

1 comment:

  1. The Hunger Games rocks! I see that it gets a solid 84 % rating on Rotten Tomatoes

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/

    Good to meet another reader...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete